A pair of French, patinated bronze Warwick Vases from the last quarter of the 19th century. Each cast with entwined handles flanking a vine leaf rim above a body cast with male masks and supported on a round socle.
The original Warwick Vase, carved in marble, was discovered in 1771 by gavin Hamilton at the ruins of Hadrian’s Villa near Tivoli. Sir William Hamilton ordered the restoration of the vase, who eventually passed ownership to George Greville, 2nd Earl of Warwick. It remained at warwick Castle until 1977, when it was sold and moved to Glasgow, where it now forms part of the Burrell Collection.
The Warwick Vase has been reproduced since circa 1800, and continued throughout the 19th century, being enormously popular and influential.
Height 5 1/4″
Width 8 1/2″
Depth 5 3/4″