Firmly Attributed to Edwards & Roberts
A late 19th century, Sheraton revival, fiddleback mahogany & marquetry inlaid Bonheur du jour. The upper section having a shaped gallery with quadrant galleried shelves flanking a central fall front panel inlaid with fountain scene, opening to reveal a leather lined writing surface and fitted interior with satinwood veneered small drawers. The bow shaped base with concave central drawer and frieze inlaid with floral swags, standing on four square section tapering legs ending in cast ormolu sabots.
Height 51 ½” (131cm)
Width 36” (91.5cm)
Depth 18” (46cm)
The firm of Edwards and Roberts were among the leading English cabinet makers of the second half of the nineteenth century. The company was founded in 1845 and by 1854 was trading as ‘Edwards and Roberts, 21 Wardour Street, Antique and Modern Cabinet Makers and Importers of Ancient Furniture’. The firm produced high quality furniture, often in the style of 18th and 19th century English and French pieces. By 1892 Edwards and Roberts had taken additional premises in more than a dozen buildings in Wardour Street and the surrounding neighborhood, continuing to trade until the end of the century.